Context and the Stages of Change by Emily Deans, posted on Evolutionary Psychiatry
It’s written from a Paleo perspective, but it’s useful for anyone who wants to guide others through a difficult life change. It explains why some people aren’t ready to listen, no matter how compelling the argument or evidence.
1. Precontemplation (a.k.a. Denial) Set a good example. Prompt them to consider something but don’t try to convince them, yet.
2. Contemplation – Person is not sure, and may be more open to convincing.
3. Preparation – Actively looking for support, resources, and pointers to how to get started.
4. Action – They’re actually doing it
5. Maintenance – avoid relapsing, turn short-term coping into long-term life skills.