Friends in Silicon Valley, do you know anyone who might be a candidate for the following job? This is described as a “temporary” position but that’s mostly because we need to fill it quickly… it’s entirely possible that the need will be ongoing.
Job Description – Desktop Support Technician
Location: Scotts Valley
Title: Desktop Support Technician
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Systems Administration Manager
This temporary position is responsible for the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of desktop computers, peripherals, software, IP telephones and related systems. Responsibilities include the timely resolution of issues affecting hardware, software and user permissions, and building new workstations as needed.
Responsibilities are subject to current goals and objectives of the company, but in general will include:
• Desktop Support. Troubleshoot and repair problems with company-wide workstation computers. Responsible for preventative and timely maintenance of hardware and software. Build new workstations including all necessary peripheral hardware. Maintain accurate inventory and records of hardware and software assignments. Respond to requests for assistance regarding workstation machines, systems, and software.
• User Support. Work with users to assign and maintain access permissions, and identify and resolve all problems associated with information technology systems. Escalate more complex issues to more senior team members or to remote support teams, and work with them through to final resolution of the issue.
• Most work follows already established policies and procedures. Work that is not prescribed is generally escalated to the next level.
• Support other Information Technology personnel and projects when required.
• Additional responsibilities may be assigned or acquired as deemed necessary by management.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
• Detailed knowledge of basic computer concepts, PC hardware and software troubleshooting, and Dell workstation (desktop/laptop) hardware.
• Experience supporting Windows XP Professional and Server operating systems in a managed desktop environment.
• Experience supporting Macintosh OS X (10.4 & upwards) desirable.
• Basic working knowledge of Linux/UNIX systems (Red Hat preferable) at a user level.
• Solid knowledge of networks including Ethernet, TCP/IP, and Windows Server networking.
• Basic understanding of VoIP telephony and voice/data cabling.
• Microsoft MCSA/MCSE desirable.
• Additional vendor administrator level certifications preferred, especially Apple ACMT/ACSP and Cisco CCNA.
• BS Degree in computer science or combination of education and relevant experience.
• 1-3 years relevant work experience.
Skills and Abilities Required:
• Self motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to maintain Customer Focus, stay motivated and be proactive.
• Insist on the highest standards from self and others.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Good attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs.